They rush in when tragedy strikes—whether it’s a shooting, fire, flood, terrorist attack or something else. They’re called “first responders” because they are trained and equipped to react quickly and effectively in the most urgent and dangerous situations.
Many of us give little thought to the police, firefighters and emergency medical personnel who place themselves in danger on a regular basis. Until we need them, of course. But whether tragedy strikes near us or not, we can play a valuable part by holding up first responders in prayer. Here are seven ways to pray for first responders:
- Thank God for those who bravely risk their lives for others.Lord God, thank You for the courageous men and women who have chosen such difficult and dangerous jobs—police, fire, EMTs, doctors, nurses, and others. Thank You for their sacrifices and service. Thank You for their hard work in training and preparing. Help them to feel the respect and gratitude of their communities, in Jesus’ name, amen.
- Pray for the training and preparation they undergo.Lord, in the rigors of training and the demands of waiting and preparation first responders go through, please sustain and strengthen them. Go before them and prepare the way; guard their going out and their coming in (Psalm 121:8). Make them sharp as they train and prepare, and give them supernatural calm and recall when they must apply their training, in Jesus’ name, amen.
- Pray for their safety as they do their jobs.Father God, keep our first responders safe in every situation. Give Your angels charge concerning them, to guard them in all their ways (Psalm 91:11). Show Yourself strong on their behalf and be their refuge and fortress in times of danger. Hide them in the shadow of Your wings and cover them with your feathers; let Your faithfulness be their shield and rampart (see Psalm 91:14-16).
- Pray for them to be wise in the discharge of their duties.God, Your word says that anyone who lacks wisdom should ask You, and You will provide it. I ask for discernment on behalf of first responders, who frequently face complex situations and must make snap decisions. Give them wisdom from You, Lord, and help them in their moment of need to make timely and wise decisions, in Jesus’ name, amen.
- Pray against panic and fatigue.Lord God, as You commanded Joshua, so grant those first responders everywhere may “Be strong and courageous…not be afraid…not be discouraged.” Help them to know that You will be with them wherever they go (Joshua 1:9, NIV). “Strengthen the hands that are weak and the knees that are feeble, and make straight paths for [their] feet” (Hebrews 12:12, NASB); focus their minds and hearts and steel them against panic and fatigue, in Jesus’ name, amen.
- Pray for the family and loved ones of first responders.Lord, have mercy on those who must wait, trust and hope every time a first responder goes into action. They are all too aware of the dangers their loved ones face. Please, as Your word promises, keep them in perfect peace; steady their minds and help them to trust in You (Isaiah 26:3), in Jesus’ name, amen.
- Pray for the emotional protection and recovery of first responders.Gracious God, You know that first responders ride an emotional roller coaster and even when their efforts are successful, the things they see and do take a heavy toll emotionally. Please guard their hearts and minds. Restore their mental and emotional resources when they have been depleted. And let them not become weary in their good work (Galatians 6:9), in Jesus’ name, amen.
These prayers are just a start, of course. But they can make a huge difference in the lives of those who make a huge difference in the lives of others.
by Bob Hostetler
Posted in Power of Prayer
Feb 11, 2019